Thursday, February 14, 2008

Project Updates

So if you have been reading this, youwould know all about my projects to build my own version of the Xbox Mini, and a print/file server (but I want it to be sweet!).

A couple of updates on these.

Xbox Mini - This has been completely changed as of about 10 minutes after I wrote about the project on here. Turns out that if I only softmod my Xbox (not installing a modchip) then I won't be able to put it all in a custom box, and change certain aspects of the hardware. At this stage I am not comfortable enough with the idea of, and workload pertaining to, installing a modchip, so I am just gonna stick with the stock box once I manage to get a softmod on the thing. So as of right now, the only modifications I will be making is a new default dashboard (menu screen that the Xbox boots to), and installation of XBMC.

Print/File server - I haven't really done any work on this, because I can't seem to find any decent tutorials on how to do it well. I could just install Windows XP, and play around with it, but thats not what I want to do. I want to have a custom OS running on it (which means Linux), and have it be a dedicated server that cannot function as anything else basically. As I said, I wanna shove as many HDD's in there as possible to maximise storage capacity.

If anyone has any ideas on new projects for me, feel free to drop me an email at the link to the right, or leave a comment.

No comments: