Saturday, February 16, 2008

Project Update 2

Okay, so a further update on my projects.

I have successfully softmodded my Xbox, and am now running XBMC on it. It would be fantastic if I had a wireless bridge, so that I could hook it up to the network and internet. Once I get that sorted it will be a killer machine.

Onto the server and I haven't made any progress at all except to say that I have finalised my specs for it.

I have an old system that I will be using as the basis.

AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU
Asus Motherboard
Onboard sound and graphics (pity I can't get rid of the sound)
500Gb IDE HDD (7200 RPM)
256Mb SDRAM
Cheap NIC (10/100 Ethernet - looking to possibly upgrade to Gigabit)
Standard PSU - if I can work out how to underclock the CPU then I can hopefully install a smaller PSU.

Now I just have to work out what OS to use (I am thinking a dedicated Linux server OS, but I'm not sure of compatability issues with XP), and how to install everything.

No comments: