Monday, February 18, 2008

Patience Is A Virtue

And apparently its a virtue I do not possess.

My poker play had been going so damn well of late, and then I started to think I was a better player than I am. I play daily in a couple of tournaments that are pretty big, field wise. Recently I cashed in both of them.

The first was the $100 Freeroll, that has 2700 entrants, and pays places 1-27. I finished in 26th place. Being a freeroll tournament, the prizes are nothing spectacular, but I was nonetheless proud of myself for having the patience and the stamina required to cash in the tournament.

The second tournament I cashed in was "The Ferguson". This is a $1 tournament that runs daily at Full Tilt Poker, and usually attracts between 900 - 1500 entrants. I play it whenever I can (my account doesn't always have money in it due to poor bankroll management). The day I cashed, there were 1130 entrants and I finished in a rather paltry 118th place. Seems like a pretty ordinary place to get paid, but the standard of players is higher in "The Ferguson" due simply to the fact that you need to buy-in with real money.

As a result of these two placings, I felt like my play was getting better. Well, to be honest, my play is getting better, just not as much as I thought. Tonight I finished the $100 freeroll in 1679th place. Terrible. I was playing well to, until I made a move I would never have made before, thinking that my play was getting better and it was the right move to make. It wasn't and I did my chance at cashing again.

I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow and give it another go, and making only plays I am comfortable with making.

No comments: